Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Loving New Mexico - 2nd Edition

4- Balloon Fiesta - Albuquerque is home to the International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, and it is quite an amazing sight. Hundreds of balloons lift off early in the morning every day for a week. We went one morning and sat and watched the balloons as they lifted off, it was awesome! We also went to the "Special Shape Glow-deo" where all the special shape balloons inflate and sit in a big field where you can walk around and see them light up. Its definitely a unique event that all of you should come see next October!





(These pictures don't do it justice at all, see cooler pictures here and here)

5- Friendly Attorneys - We've been invited to several get togethers with attorneys that Chad works with and we have several more planned. Its been great to get to know them and its been great to start having friends here.

6-Chad's Job - We're very grateful that he's employed and he loves his job. What more could we ask for?

7- In laws nearby - Chad's parents live here, and it's been nice for us to have family here while we adjust to our new lives. The kids love still living by one set of grandparents and constantly being spoiled.

8-Panda Express - They don't have Panda in Ohio (at least near where we were living) and its delicious.

9- Dion's - Yummy pizza they only have here in Albuquerque.

10- Our first house! Ugly as sin on the outside, but fabulous on the inside. We decided early on in our house hunting that I just had to not care what the outside of the house looked like. If we decided that we were not going to buy a house with stucco we would have severely limited our options. Now, not only did we purchase a house built of stucco, but it even has a flat roof and looks like a prehistoric dwelling. Don't get me wrong folks, I LOVE this house, but I will never pretend that the outside isn't ugly. Here she is!!


We're moving in this weekend!

Alright, I can't just make a blog post without adding a couple pictures of some cute kids.



12 comments:

Adam said...

We have stucco too... and those wavy pueblo rooftop tiles. NASTY, I hate the houses in the southwest. And the saddest part is, I have yet to see a house that is less than 10 years old that ISN'T stucco. Some people say you get used to it after a while......
Not me.

:)

P.S. I like this whole idea of naming the reasons while you like New Mexico. I should really start one about Las Vegas, but it's almost too painful, haha.

The Lewis's said...

for us in phoenix- stucco means nice. so, congratulations! glad to know the adjustment is going along well. can we come visit you guys sometime soon?

JoshandJen said...

I think your house looks awesome! seriously, now I want to see pictures of the inside!! I am glad things are going good for you guys, we still miss you!

anna said...

I'm with Jen - we need inside pics! Good luck with move! We miss you but are glad things are going well.

M & S Eagar said...

You crack me up! I happen to like Southwestern style so i think your house looks neat and now I'm dying to see inside pics.

I miss you!

Matt and I might get crazy and spontaneously hop in the car and drive to AZ for Christmas. If we do, can we stay a night with you?

beckie said...

Congrats on the house! Its not that bad darbs. I think I see some generic big game lurking in the background...
can't wait to see the inside

Anonymous said...

It sounds like there are a lot of good things in NM. Once you get settled we will come see you and eat at that pizza joint.

Having lived in AZ all I know is stucco. So I don't mind that stucco part-- I just don't like Southewest decor, and NM seems more "southwest" than AZ to me in some respects. You don't see a lot of houses like that in AZ.

That being said, I can't wait to see the inside-- just walk in with your eyes closed each day. I walk into my house with my eyes open and then close them inside-- since it is so messy in there! ha ha

Madame Coin said...

I think the outside of your house is awesome! But I can see why you're not crazy about it :-) At least it isn't turquoise, right? With orange stripes?

Becky said...

you're right darbie...the outside is ugly. :) but like everyone else can't wait to see the inside!

Jen said...

Glad you guys are acclimating well! Your new house rocks:) I love the last two pictures of the kids...cute!

Michelle said...

Alaska and New Mexico are two states I honestly thought nothing about until most recently in life...which I'm finding out more and more is a real shame I didn't know sooner how cool they both are. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world of New Mexico! I especially love the hot air balloon fiesta. Very cool!

Hannah + 4 said...

Hey Darbie can I get your address?
Thanks bakerfam07@yahoo.com