Friday, September 18, 2009

Loving New Mexico - 1st Edition

My goal is to find 100 reasons I love New Mexico by the end of the year in order to encourage a more positive outlook on our current situation. I better get cracking.

1. Sidewalks everywhere - Ohio is seriously lacking in the sidewalk department. Who's dumb idea was it to build 95% of Copley, OH without sidewalks? Albuquerque has sidewalks everywhere and me and my stroller love them.

2. Tortilla availability - It's true, you can find a huge selection of tortillas and green chilies everywhere. One time in Ohio we couldn't find the tortillas at the grocery store, so we found an employee and asked:

"Where could we find the flour tortillas?"

to which he replied,

"Is that hard taco or soft taco?"

3. Explora! The kids science museum here is fabulous! Jay and Carly love it (there seriously is even stuff for Carly to do), and we go almost weekly. We split a year membership with Chad's parents and it has already paid for itself several times. They even have Adult Night every other month and Chad and I are really excited to go this month and explore the place by ourselves.

7 comments:

JoshandJen said...

I am jealous of your sidewalks!! That is one thing that stinks about Copley for sure!! I am excited to follow your blog and see all of the reasons you are coming up with to like New Mexico. Your mom came to Taster's night last night and was telling us about your new house, I want to see pictures or email me the listing!! She was telling us about Jay playing the Wii and what he said :) how funny, it just reminded me of when we were at Panera and Jay started laughing saying "naked butt" loud...awe...we miss partying with the Worthens!!

Michelle said...

That place (Explora) looks awesome! We may just have to come down for a visit on adult night.

Madame Coin said...

Have you been to Blake's Lotaburger yet? I have AMAZING memories of their burgers and shakes. You can even get your burger with green chiles on it :-)

M & S Eagar said...

I was there the other night with Jen and it was really fun to catch up about you through her. She said you have a house! There's a ton of new people here (but I still miss you) and we had like 11 or 12 people at Apple taster's night.

Anyway, I'm glad ABQ is looking up!

Natalie said...

Way to be positive, Darbs!

Anonymous said...

So, according to these comments, you found a place? That is great news.

I think you will get used to southwest living, but I can see how it sucks at times. Whenever I go anywhere other than AZ, I get so jealous. I get sick of the brown sometimes. That being said, I don't know how to deal with snow, so I am "out of luck" when it comes to living in other places.

let us know when you are all settled! Evan and I would love to come see you some weekend.

Hayley said...

mmmmm- sidewalks and tortillas- yes, I agree that would be nice! I'm assuming with the greater selection of tortillas comes some really awesome Mexican dining??? Needless to say I'm jealous :) I can't wait to find out the other 97 things you love about NM- who knows, maybe we'll have to move there too- it is only 6 hours from Mesa :)