Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Brought to you by the Letter B















Jay's latest obsession is letters. I wish I could attribute this to my diligent parenting and teaching, but that would be a lie. It began a few months ago when he discovered the colorful letter magnets adorning our fridge. He would bring us these magnets and talk about letters and eventually named every letter either "D" or "Y". One day it all just clicked and he started remembering every letter name we told him. Before long, he was naming every letter and loved flipping through flashcards. I'm convinced he dreams about letters.

Signs Jay is obsessed:

*He loves playing with my alphabet rubber stamps and is fascinated by letter stickers (this makes trips to the scrapbook store easy for me, I grab an ugly sheet of letter stickers off the clearance rack for 50 cents and he's entertained for a good 10 minutes).

*He loves the beginning of movies because he gets to see big letters and screams "F B I !!".

*He's beginning to master the letters upside down as well and declared the other day while in his car seat "Letters, Jay's buckle! G R A C O!"

*When he sees letters on cereal boxes etc. he insists I run and get the scissors to cut them out so he can glue them on paper. (We've finally created a letter book for him so he can glue all his letters on different pages.)

*Last night while watching Brooke White sing on American Idol, Jay began to sing with her, but instead of "Let it Be", he sang "Letter B".

I really don't know what planet this child came from. Just don't ask him to count for you or identify colors. I don't think we have an little engineer on our hands, that's for sure. Letters are his forte.


His favorite letter? He's no dummy, ask him and he'll respond with excitement, "Jay start letter J!"

This picture was taken last summer before the letter obsession. We were making a birthday card for my brother on a mission featuring Jay spelling out "Happy Birthday". Maybe this is really where the obsession began.

3 comments:

Melanee said...

Darbie! We found your blog linked to Bret and Lindsey's, and I don't want to feel like a blog stalker, so I thought I'd post a comment. Jay is freakin' awesome! I can't believe he's knows the whole alphabet already. What a smart little guy. I really need to go be around some average two-year-olds so I can not feel so bad about Samantha's lack of progress in that direction. Anyway, check out our blog, if you feel so inclined: georgeandmel.blogspot.com

Lindsey said...

I can't tell you how hard I laughed imagining Jay (whom I have never met, but still...) singing "Letter B." J is Jeffrey's favorite letter, too:)

eileen said...

funniest thing: i have posted letters around the house for calvin to look at (and i'm actually surprised that he does like looking at them). his favorite: B. when calvin is upset corey likes to hold him in front of it and sing "letter B" just like Jay sang to Brooke!! haha! great minds thing alike.