Monday, March 24, 2008

Picture Perfect Easter

I've always loved Easter. I have such fond memories of Easter growing up. Our new Easter dresses laid out on the couch with other surprises (usually the newest Disney movie). Easter egg hunts in the front yard while wearing our pj's (unless it was snowing and the event was moved inside and inevitably a boiled egg would get lost in the house to be found weeks later when it began to stink). I always remember holidays being quite perfect, but maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me, or maybe we don't notice all the imperfection as kids.

If there is one thing I've learned as a mother it's things aren't always (or ever) perfect. My picture perfect idea of Easter would have included:

-Jay waking up to his candy filled Easter basket and small new toys and be so filled with excitement that he played for hours without throwing a single tantrum.

Reality: Jay has had the flu for about a week now and woke up in a rage. Within about 3 minutes, all the Easter baskets and their contents were kicked around the living room. Jelly beans, M&M's, puzzle pieces and letter blocks were scattered everywhere.


-Me taking pictures of Jay enjoying his Easter spoils and eating a few Peeps myself.

Reality: I was lying on the couch vomiting into a plastic bag watching the whole ordeal. It did cross my mind once to grab my camera and snap a picture of the destruction, but Chad cleaned it up too fast.



-Jay wearing his new Easter tie with an adorable blue shirt and his khaki newsboy cap to church.

Reality: Jay took a nap for 4 hours and none of us went to Church. I tried to salvage this dream by dressing him for Easter dinner in said outfit, but the boy was to grumpy and sick and immediately declared "Tie off!".



-Me in the kitchen making apple pies for Easter dinner that evening.

Reality: While I was still lying on the couch, Chad made a brownie mix at the last minute to take to dinner.



Perhaps all this imperfection is just helping solidify Easter memories. I don't think we'll ever forget the Easter that Jay was so sick he destroyed everything while I lay on the couch and watch. In fact, last years Easter was just as imperfect. Jay was sick (hand foot and mouth disease) and we had to talk in Church. We had to get a babysitter for Jay so he wouldn't infect other children while we spoke in Church. Maybe he's doomed to be sick every Easter.

Update: We took Jay to the doctor today and on top of having the flu, he has an ear infection and the beginnings of pneumonia. The ear infection and pneumonia are treatable, so all should be well in a couple days. If I had the flu, pneumonia, and an ear infection, I'd probably kick my Easter basket and throw my new toys too. I'm feeling well also and must have just picked up some random 24hr stomach flu thing.

Hopefully next Sunday we'll have a picture of an active and healthy 2 year old wearing his new tie and looking adorable.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Darbie, you are correct--my maiden name was Hatch. How do I know you? How did you find me? Ease my curiosity here :)

Lindsey said...

Wow...what a "holiday." Better luck next year:) Glad you're all on the mend.

Hannah + 4 said...

O goodness! What a Easter... I always loved Easter growing up to but Avree is still so young we didn't really do anything exciting.. Hope you guys start feeling better.